At Hackney, we have an elected Mayor and a diverse set of elected Members that are ambitious for our borough and its residents.
The Council has adopted a Strategic Plan that sets out what we aim to achieve over the next three years; it is framed by the elected Mayor’s priorities for the borough and the manifesto commitments of his administration.
Hackney aspires to be one the best Councils in the country; to achieve that, we know we need to support our elected Members and political leadership to a high standard, and in a way that respects the democratic contract at the heart of every local authority.
Supporting our Members
The Council has created a new Mayor, Cabinet & Civic Support and Member Casework service that brings together support to the Mayor & Cabinet, the Speaker and casework support to all Councillors in one service. The service will be responsible for championing the role of Members across the organisation, ensuring a high quality of casework support to councillors across all parties, and wider support to the political and civic leadership of the Council.
The structure chart of the new service can be found here, and consists of three teams: Mayor & Cabinet Office, Civic Services, and Member Casework. Over the coming weeks we will be advertising a range of opportunities to work in the Mayor & Cabinet Office and Member Casework teams. For more information, see below.
Mayor & Cabinet Office
The Mayor & Cabinet Office provides support to the political leadership of the organisation. We are seeking highly motivated individuals with strong organisational and communication skills to help drive the delivery of the Mayor’s priorities and provide strategic and operational support to the Mayor & Cabinet. We are recruiting to five vacancies:
- Cabinet Policy & Research Officer (2 posts): As Cabinet Policy & Research Officer you will provide strategic advice and support to the Mayor and Cabinet Members to support delivery of their priorities. Your responsibilities will include research and briefings, drafting speeches, managing the Mayor’s inbox and correspondence and stakeholder management. Apply now
- Cabinet Executive Support Manager: As Cabinet Executive Support Manager you will lead an Executive Support Team providing strategic and efficient executive support to the Mayor, Cabinet and Deputy Cabinet Members to support them in their leadership roles. You will provide direct and high level support to members of the Mayor’s Cabinet, including extensive diary management, and create a culture focused on learning and continual improvement to ensure the team is able to work in a fast paced environment and coalesce around political priorities. Apply now
- Cabinet Executive Support Officer (2 posts): As Cabinet Executive Support Officer you will work as part of the Mayor & Cabinet Office providing a comprehensive, coordinated and efficient support service to the Council’s senior leadership, enabling the Mayor and Cabinet to deliver their strategic objectives. Your role will include extensive diary management and administrative support, and require you to be the key interface between Cabinet members and internal and external stakeholders. Apply now
Member Casework team
Responding to casework enquiries and advocating on behalf of their constituents with Council services is one of the most important responsibilities of an elected Member. Following a review, the Council is creating a new team to deliver a unified casework service to the elected Mayor, all Councillors and Hackney MPs, working closely with departments from across the Council to drive up the quality and timeliness of responses and to ensure a resident focused approach. We are seeking high performing, customer focused individuals with strong communication and problem solving skills to deliver an effective casework service. We are recruiting to four vacancies:
- Senior Member Caseworker: As Senior Member Caseworker you will lead a team to investigate, resolve and respond to around 6,000 Member enquiries a year, ensuring a customer focused and resolutions based approach to all contacts. You will work proactively with all Council services to make improvements to service delivery; to effect an improvement in the timeliness and quality of response, and increase Member satisfaction with the Member enquiry process. Apply now
- Member Caseworker (2 posts): As Member Caseworker you will provide a high quality casework service for elected Members in dealing with enquiries from a range of sources. You will work proactively with all Council services to investigate and resolve issues, and to advocate on behalf of Members and their constituents. Apply now
- Member Caseworker (Housing): As Member Caseworker (Housing) you will provide a high quality casework service for elected Members in dealing with enquiries from a range of sources, with a particular focus on housing related enquiries. You will work proactively with Housing services to investigate and resolve issues, and to advocate on behalf of Members and their constituents. Apply now