- Salary - Grade
- GBP £55,554 to £56,640 55554 - PO8
- Market supplement
- Contract Type
- Contracted Hours
- Full Time - 36 hours per week
- DBS Required
- Finance & Corporate Resources
- Closing date
Location: Hybrid working between office and home. Currently the team are meeting in the office one day a week. (There is room for flexibility to suit the right candidate)Interview will be virtual (via Google Meet)
If you are interested and have some questions about the application process or the role itself, please contact email@example.com who will be happy to speak to you.
We’re looking for a passionate and experienced service designer who can lead a team and help us to deliver agile, user-centred change across the whole range of the Council’s services, in order to further improve services for Hackney residents and to help us realise our vision:
“We want to provide efficient and empathic services to residents via the channel of their choice, preferably at a time that’s convenient and in a way that is easy for customers to successfully get the service they need.”
We are looking for people with a clear vision for delivering excellent and inclusive services who have experience of delivering transformational results and excellent user experiences, and are able to influence colleagues across services to make effective use of data and service design. Working as part of an effective, multidisciplinary team, you will need to lead and inspire a team of service designers to work closely with user researchers and data analysts in order to put user needs at the heart of all decision making.
You will coordinate service design activities across a wide range of projects, providing oversight and support as well as expert advice on methodology, approaches, tools, quality and standards.
It is an exciting opportunity to champion the voice of the customer/ user, leading customer/ user-centred design across the Council’s services and improving the customer experience to provide ‘right first time’ solutions for Hackney customers.
- Manage a Community of Practice, enabling service designers to work as part of a multidisciplinary team and developing them to adopt user-centred practises and embed them into their agile workflow
- Understand organisational goals and challenges, aligning research activities to the Mayor’s priorities, corporate objectives and the Customer Experience Roadmap
- Ensure delivery of high quality service design to inform a high quality user experience – leading on identifying, understanding and validating (through prototyping) user needs for new and amended service
- Explain user needs to senior leaders, and act as a persuasive advocate for those needs both within product and wider teams.
Skills and Experience
- An expert practitioner who can influence stakeholders, and lead teams to collaborate with services to design and improve end-to-end journeys for residents.
- Proven ability to use a wide range of service design methods and Agile techniques to achieve demonstrable results to improve the customer experience and encourage adoption of these across the organisation
- Well versed in communicating and engaging with a wide range of stakeholders
- Able to make decisions through the analysis of relevant information and risk assessment that demonstrate commitment to the Council’s vision for a better Hackney.
Find out more about how Hackney promotes equality and diversity, read about our commitment to being a flexible Timewise employer and read about the fantastic benefits on offer which includes an unrivalled Local Government Pension Scheme, a wide range of training opportunities, an opportunity to work alongside some of the best digital agencies in the country and an employee year-long high street retail discount scheme.
Hackney is one of the UK’s highest performing local authorities, serving one of London’s best places to live and work. We have achieved a huge amount: our services, our schools, our public spaces are all amongst the very best. We have changed the reputation, not just of the Council, but of Hackney itself. Bringing jobs and investment into the borough, securing the legacy from the 2012 Games, and making this a place of which we can all be proud.
If you want to work in a place where you can represent our values so we achieve the best for our residents, please click on the apply button below.
The recruitment process is anonymous. Therefore, we do not accept supporting statements or CVs.
When applying, there will be a number of questions relating to the post on the application form. It is essential that you complete the application questions, responding to each using examples of your skills, knowledge and experience.
This application process replaces a supporting statement.
Closing date for applications: 22 May 2022
We are also working towards our vision, which is to be a place for everyone; where residents and staff can be proud; a place that celebrates diversity and where everyone can feel valued, included and involved. In order to achieve this, we look for people who are: Proud; Ambitious; Pioneering; Open; Proactive; Inclusive.
Hackney Council works to eradicate discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, age and marital status. We also recognise that people can be disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances, so we will also work to eliminate discrimination and disadvantage caused by social class. We also welcome those interested in flexible working. We particularly welcome applications from disabled people, as this group is currently under represented in our workforce.
The Council has a dedicated employment support service (Hackney Works), which offers Hackney residents guidance in relation to applying for jobs. If you are thinking about applying for a job, please contact the Hackney Works team to find out what support is available: firstname.lastname@example.org