- Salary - Grade
- GBP £60,105 to £61,206 60105 - PO9
- Market supplement
- Contract Type
- Contracted Hours
- Full Time - 36 hours per week
- DBS Required
- Finance & Corporate Resources
- Closing date
£60,105 – £61,206 plus market supplement of £8,636
About the team
Our team is part of ICT & Workplace Services and has two disciplines: software and cloud engineering. Software engineers’ work ranges from customising off the shelf systems to building cloud native products.
We’ve been part of cutting edge digital transformation work, building applications and services using some of the latest cloud technologies that are more responsive and deliver better user experiences.
We have developed a culture of exploration and collaboration. We welcome and embrace curious minds and, as a result, have built some great products. We have a really engaging community of practice which links up with other disciplines within our service including cloud, data, security and delivery.
About the role
As a Lead Software Engineer you will work with delivery, product, service design and user research colleagues to understand the needs of users and collaborate to build and improve digital solutions.
To do this you will:
- Analyse various problems or opportunities and design and develop technical and architectural solutions to address them
- Evaluate, iterate and improve on existing solutions so they continue to meet user needs
- Continue to look at ways of developing our capabilities to keep abreast of rapidly evolving technologies
- Contribute to setting standards and best practices and take an active lead in development forums such as our community of practice.
We don’t expect you to tick every box on our job description. The most important things we are looking for are:
- Strong leadership and mentoring skills to ensure more junior colleagues are kept motivated and excited about the work that we do
- Keen to explore new technologies and have a good understanding of the cloud (AWS) ecosystem
- Passionate about solving complex problems with digital solutions
- Insatiably curious mind when it comes to software engineering
- Motivated by delivering for users (in our case, Hackney residents)
- Strong communicator, able to liaise with team members, senior leaders, stakeholders and delivery partners, effectively conveying our development standards and ideals
- Experience working with:
- C# (.NET)
- Databases including SQL Server, Posgres, MySQL
- Cloud technologies, specifically Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- CI/CD Pipelines
Over the next year our priority areas of focus are:
- Improving operational efficiencies of products in terms of performance, cost, and security
- Improving our security posture
- Expanding our software engineering capabilities so that we can solve a broader range of problems and explore new opportunities.
What we love about working for Hackney
Some things we love about working for Hackney:
- We have an open and collaborative work culture
- Solving real world problems to improve the lives of residents
- Amazing colleagues, brimming with enthusiasm and ideas to help improve the services we deliver
- Our views and projects are valued by our leadership team
- We’re encouraged to learn and given the space to do it
- We’re proud of having a diverse workforce that reflects our community
- Flexibility of hybrid working and being able to have a good work-life balance
- No one day is ever the same and you’ll get to work across a wide range of services.
In return you will benefit from:
- A generous holiday allowance of 27 paid days, rising to 32 days (after 5 years) plus bank holidays, as well as an annual leave purchase scheme
- Membership of the excellent Local Government Pension Scheme
- Standard 36 hour week (7.2 hours per day, Monday to Friday)
- Wide range of learning and development opportunities.
- Comprehensive range of staff benefits such as childcare vouchers, new technology schemes, Cyclesheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at leisure centres (Better), restaurants, shops and other local establishments.
Where we work
We offer hybrid working. You will be expected to come into our offices in the Hackney Service Centre to work with your team for a minimum of two days a month, however many of us prefer to come in more frequently. Like many organisations, our hybrid arrangements are evolving and you may be expected to work from the office more frequently in future.
Talk to us or ask any questions
If you’d like an informal chat about the role, you can speak to Selwyn Preston, Head of Engineering: contact him on: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no better place to work in London than Hackney; we have great pride in our borough, our communities, and our services. Hackney is one of London’s most vibrant and diverse boroughs. It’s one of the most sought after areas to live in London with good schools, parks and local amenities, as well as great transport links and vibrant and diverse communities.
If you want to work in a place where you can represent our values so we achieve the best for our residents, please click on the apply button below.
The recruitment process is anonymous. Therefore, we do not accept supporting statements or CVs.
When applying, there will be a number of questions relating to the post on the application form. It is essential that you complete the application questions, responding to each using examples of your skills, knowledge and experience.
We will not accept applications where Artificial Intelligence (AI) has been used to assist with completing the competency questions or any part of the application form.
This application process replaces a supporting statement.
Closing date for applications: 10 January 2024 (22.59)
Interview date: W/C 8 January 2024
We are also working towards our vision, which is to be a place for everyone; where residents and staff can be proud; a place that celebrates diversity and where everyone can feel valued, included and involved. In order to achieve this, we look for people who are: Proud; Ambitious; Pioneering; Open; Proactive; Inclusive.
Hackney Council works to eradicate discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation. We also recognise that people can be disadvantaged by their social and economic circumstances, so we will also work to eliminate discrimination and disadvantage caused by social class. We also welcome those interested in flexible working. We particularly welcome applications from disabled people, as this group is currently under represented in our workforce.
The Council has a dedicated employment support service (Hackney Works), which offers Hackney residents guidance in relation to applying for jobs. If you are thinking about applying for a job, please contact the Hackney Works team to find out what support is available: email@example.comK