All employees can ask to be considered for flexible working options – this is one of the ways we hope to improve work/life balance.
Flexible working policy
Our statutory provision allows employees with 26 weeks’ continuous service to make a request for flexible working. However, due to the Council’s commitment to improving work life balance for all its employees, flexible working requests are open to all staff.
Hackney’s flexible working policy includes opportunities for:
- Part-time working
- Job sharing
- Compressed hours
- Annualised hours
- Term-time only working
- Unpaid leave
- Remote working (including homeworking)
- Please note agency staff are not covered by all of the Council’s policies. However, please contact your employing agency to find out more about your rights and the benefits available to you.
- Our basic annual leave entitlement, without local government continuous service, is 27 days per year
- After five years of service (or of continuous local government service), you become entitled to 32 days per year.
- If you work, part-time your leave entitlement will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
- You have the opportunity once a year to purchase up to 10 days of annual leave.
- Your work can be based around your caring responsibilities
Parents have additional statutory rights. In some cases, the Council has enhanced the provisions to provide further support. Hackney’s family-related policies include:
- Maternity Leave and Pay
- Shared Parental Leave and Pay
- Adoption and Surrogacy Leave and Pay
- Maternity Support Leave and Pay (including Paternity leave)
- All Council employees are entitled to up to 52 weeks of maternity leave regardless of their length of service or working hours
- – (Employees with at least 26 weeks of continuous service (as at 15 weeks before the expected birth date) can claim up to 39 weeks of statutory pay during this time)
- – (Employees may be entitled to additional contractual maternity pay depending on the length of service)
Everyone at Hackney Council has an important job to do. From social workers and street cleaners to accountants and software developers, our services affect the day to day lives of everyone who lives, works and visits our borough. Whether or not our services have a direct impact on them, people in Hackney rely on us to do our best.
We believe excellent services rely on highly-skilled, motivated people. As one of our employees, we will support you with a range of benefits and opportunities. We are hoping to make life a bit easier for you – with the right support, we can help you to give your best at work, and achieve a balance with home life.
We welcome a diversity of talent here, so our benefits and policies are designed to reflect various needs.
Key benefits include:
- Generous holiday allowance – 27 days a year, rising to 32 after five years
- Pension scheme
- Flexible working options
- Family-friendly policies
- A range of discounts, including subsidised gym membership
- Access to financial and season ticket loans
- Health and wellbeing benefits, such as lunchtime fitness classes
- A comprehensive training and development offer
- You will have access to the Cyclescheme and pool of bikes